- The administration of Guyana Christian Charities (Canada) Inc. is accomplished on a volunteer basis; there are no paid employees.
- Over 90% of the funds collected go to the organizations and/or hospitals we support, special appeals when disasters occur, shipping expenses and related transportation for dispatches to Guyana – usually twice a year.
- Organizations are required to confirm receipt of the items shipped to them by signing and returning a copy of the Gift Certificates sent
In the late 1970’s, a group of Guyanese in Canada decided to do something meaningful for Christmas. They organized a ‘Bring and Buy’ Bake Sale and sent the funds raised to Guyana for St. Ann’s Girls Orphanage in Georgetown and St. John Bosco Boy’s Orphanage in Plaisance. This formed the basis for our ‘Annual Food & Bake Sale’ which has since become a tradition.
Meanwhile, an ‘Organ Committee’ was structured to raise funds to replace the aging Organ at the R.C. Brickdam Cathedral. A dance and subsequent dances were so well supported that they became the forerunner of our very entertaining and popular ‘Valentine’s Dance’. Due to the critical shortage of medical supplies in Guyana at that time, our first Valentine’s Dance was held to raise funds for the shipment of donated medical items. This event continues to be highly successful.
These two (2) groups eventually merged and in 1987 we received Letters Patent and became a Canadian Corporation under the name Guyana Christian Charities (Canada) Inc. Subsequently we were granted Registered Charitable Organization status which enabled donors to receive tax deductible receipts for cash donations made to our organization.
Recognized by the Guyana Government and the Guyana Consulate, Toronto, ON:
- Oct 2016 — Golden Jubilee Community Service Organization Award for its significant involvement to the Guyanese Community.
- May 2005 — Most Outstanding Contribution to the Flood Relief Effort
- July 2003 — Outstanding Organization Award for “Selfless Service to Guyana and the Guyanese Community in Canada for over three decades”
- October 2002 — Award for “Longest Serving Guyanese Organization in Toronto”
- May 1995 — Award from the Government and People of Guyana for our “Support towards rebuilding the Health Care System”
- October 1994 — Certificate of Appreciation for our “Valuable Contribution to the Health Care System
The Guyana Cultural Association of New York Inc. has given Guyana Christian Charities (Canada) Inc. an award in recognition of GCC’s three (3) decades of dedicated assistance to community service in Guyana, particularly notable for the range of amenities provided to a cross-section of beneficiaries in the wide geographic span of Guyana.